I am glad you love this image. However, right-clicking is disabled on my site. If you wish to use one of my images, please request permission. Greatly appreciated! brockstarphoto@gmail.com
logo

My First Attempt At A Cinemagraph

I had a shoot a couple of weekends ago with the cute model Charlotte Dell’Acqua. We were on a farm located in southern Maryland and I had this grand idea. I saw a cluster of reeds and, luckily for me, the organizer of the shoot had his drone. That was all I needed to created a little artificial wind.After a few tries of trying to get the proper amount of movement in the reeds and in the model’s hair, I called “cut” and stopped shooting video.

I got home and reviewed my content. Not bad. I read a few tutorials on how to create cinemagraphs and got to work.

I opened Photoshop and found those few valuable seconds. I then found the place I wanted to create my still and isolated that on a layer.

The file size was pretty large, so I converted the image to greyscale, then to a duotone. I used a burnt orange color to give the shot an old sepia look.

I masked the animation layers to show movement, then saved the file.

It was a pretty easy process. The trouble came from trying to load the image to Facebook. Facebook didn’t allow me to load the .gif file. I had to link it.

And here’s what I came up with:

Charlotte-c

First attempt. not bad. I wanna try this again with my daughter jumping into a huge rain puddle. It’s a cool visual. I definitely learned some things from the process. For starters, don’t have objects that are supposed to move overlap the parts of the image that are still. That’ll cause a masking nightmare. Secondly, don’t post Photoshop cinemagraphs on Facebook unless you link to an external source.

For now, I am enjoying my triumph over a new concept and looking for cool ways to push the medium.

Waiting for that rainy day and a huge puddle!